I just moved far away from home for college. I'm also a little shy. Do you have any suggestions for meeting new friends?
Sincerely, Party of One
Dear Party of One,
Not so very long ago I was a new-to-college girl with tons of friends
I made all of my friends by going directly to class, doing homework at lunchtime and not joining clubs. If you would like to take a more direct indirect (that's not a typo) approach, try AIRing. Walk up to a small group of people and throw out a subject followed by "am I right?" They'll go one way or the other before you make a commitment. For example:
- Spot a few nerds? Say "Ben Affleck as Batman, am I right?"
- Catch up to a few jocks during your run? Say "sports words, am I right?"
- See a pack of hott girls chewing gum and not saying much? Say "Miley Cyrus, am I right?"
- Spy a gaggle of music lovers? Say "vinyl, am I right?"
- Eyeball an environmentalist? Say "reusable bags, am I right?"
- Professors the only people that will talk to you now? Say "vodka in a water bottle, am I right?"
Or just buy a few pizzas and open your door.
Thirsty? Head over to my food blog, Turning Mediterranean for a fresh raspberry soda.