Thursday, February 14, 2013

DIY: How to Speak to Single Women on Valentine's Day

The same way you do every other freaking day.

Here's something crazy: I'm a 31-year-old single southern* woman and I don't hate Valentine's Day. I don't hate men. I'm not waiting for marriage so my poor little life can start. And I bet there are more of my kind out there.

As Valentine's Day drew near this year, I began to hear things like "control yourselves on that day, single ladies", "it's almost singles awareness day", "Valentine's Day won't be very fun for you, huh - maybe you'll have someone next year"...

It's okay to be okay with singleness. A simple "hey, what's up?" is still a lovely way to start a conversation, even on VDay.

*Southern is an important distinction as people here seem to think you are a spinster if you don't marry your high school sweetheart the day after graduation.


 Not a commentary on VDay. Cheese was my first love. We're still together.

No comments:

Post a Comment