Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Touché Tuesday Advice Column

Dear Jen, Tell us about your spirit animal.
All the best, Eagle Lover

Dear Eagle Lover, Who do you think I am? Zoey Deschanel? I don't have a spirit animal. But if I did, I think it would be this bird:

♥ Jen

Dear Jen, Do you have any tricks to help someone fall asleep? I often lay awake thinking of things to do the next day. Sometimes I even mentally menu plan for the month, which would be fine, but it makes me hungry at 1am.
Sincerely, Crumbs in Bed

Dear Crumbs, I must admit, I’m pretty bad at falling asleep too. Do you happen to watch TV soon before bed? I cut that out a few months ago and find that I am able to fall asleep faster. Try doing something soothing/relaxing before bed – sometimes I read or do a puzzle or get my yoga on to calm my brain down.

Maybe try progressive relaxation. While laying in bed, close your eyes and slowly relax every bit of you, starting at your scalp and ending with the bottom of your feet. Include everything – even your eyes. I do this sometimes and, though I can’t explain why, I feel like sponge cake. This may not help with the 1 am hunger but hopefully you’ll be too sleepy to notice it much.

If this continues to be a major problem, consider hypnosis. And consider letting me do it (I just need you to sign one tiny little waiver stating that I may post our sessions on YouTube).

P.S. Here’s an interesting article on sleep. 
♥Jen

Dear Jen, I need some suggestions on inspiring creativity/getting my butt in gear with my creative career.
Help! Unmotivated

Dear Unmotivated, Here a few tips that would totally be “pro” tips were I a pro.
-Spend some time researching other creative folks. Look at their work, their successes, their failures, their stories of how they got where they are now.
-Read the following: Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon, Creative, Inc by 
Joy Deangdeelert Cho and Meg Mateo Ilasco, What It Is by Lynda Barry, A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink.
-Do something every day to move you closer to your goals. I know I'm dangerously close to going all after school special on you here. But it's true. It doesn't have to be something big, it just has to be something.

♥Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment