Thursday, April 12, 2012

Summer Reading List Part 2: Learn Something

Simmer down, kids. Take a seat. It's time for Professor Whitfield to reveal part 2 of your summer reading list. I'll be revealing one category at a time throughout April. Today: Learn Something! (Did you miss Part 1: Humor? Find it here.)
  1. A Whole New Mind (Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future) by Daniel H. Pink – I’m taking over.
  2. Quiet (The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking) by Susan Cain – a book about the benefits of being an introvert. A book that introduces successful introverts. A book that isn’t written like an academic paper. I like it. (Again, I’m taking over.)
  3. How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci by Michael J. Gelb – I’m a sucker for a workbook and this workbookish book is full of exercises and lessons for opening your mind. And if that’s not workbookish enough for you, there is an actual workbook that you may purchase separately.
  4. A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden by Daylight by Victoria Lincoln – This is on the list just in case you needed more evidence that I’m a wackadoo. Seriously, though. It’s a very interesting read. And the author knew Lizzie! Oh snap.
  5. Imagine by Jonah Lehrer – This is the only book on the list that I haven’t read. I read one of Lehrer's other books, How We Decide (interesting but a few too many football metaphors), and like the sound of this one. It’s a study on creativity with chapter titles like “Bob Dylan’s Brain”. Yes please.

No comments:

Post a Comment