(Don't miss Part 1: Humor or Part 2: Learn Something.)
- The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka – So surreal a new adjective was created – Kafkaesque. I love Kafka’s writing style. And I will not be able to contain the Gregor Samsa references for much longer. Might as well be familiar.
- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende – One of my all-time favorite books (and movie based on a book) ever. Pure magic. A boy named Bastian must save Fantastica from the nothing. Through a book! When I believed in fairy tales, I was going to marry Atreyu and we were going to name our son Bastian Balthazar Bux Whitfield (Atreyu would take my last name, obviously).
- The Death Note series by Tsugumi Ohba – any human whose name is written in the notebook dies. Do I need to say more? (Manga, btw.)
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett – I did not expect to enjoy The Help. I read it because my book club was reading it. But I love it. It’s funny and touching.
- Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith – Honest Abe’s mom is killed by a vampire and then… Bonus: I accidentally learned a few true historical facts along the way.