Thursday, April 19, 2012

Summer Reading List Part 3: Fiction

Simmer down, kids. Take a seat. It's time for Professor Whitfield to reveal part 3 of your summer reading list. I'll be revealing one category at a time throughout April. Today: Fiction!
(Don't miss Part 1: Humor or Part 2: Learn Something.
)

  1. The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka – So surreal a new adjective was created – Kafkaesque. I love Kafka’s writing style. And I will not be able to contain the Gregor Samsa references for much longer. Might as well be familiar.
  2. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende – One of my all-time favorite books (and movie based on a book) ever. Pure magic. A boy named Bastian must save Fantastica from the nothing. Through a book! When I believed in fairy tales, I was going to marry Atreyu and we were going to name our son Bastian Balthazar Bux Whitfield (Atreyu would take my last name, obviously).
  3. The Death Note series by Tsugumi Ohba – any human whose name is written in the notebook dies. Do I need to say more? (Manga, btw.)
  4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett – I did not expect to enjoy The Help. I read it because my book club was reading it. But I love it. It’s funny and touching.
  5. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith – Honest Abe’s mom is killed by a vampire and then… Bonus: I accidentally learned a few true historical facts along the way.
Your turn. What's some of your favorite fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment